Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham have joined Man City and Chelsea in announcing that they have withdrawn from the ESL.
After receiving backlash from all corners of the footballing world, the top clubs in England have announced that they have withdrawn from the proposed European Super League.
Chelsea and Man City were the first to make a U-turn. The Londoners revealed this as their game against Brighton on Thursday was being overshadowed by pre-match protests outside Stamford Bridge.
After the likes of Jordan Henderson, Luke Shaw and Kevin De Bruyne came out to condemn the plans, the remaining big six clubs revealed just before 23:00 on Tuesday that they have also dropped out of the ESL.
UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin said that it takes “courage” to admit to a mistake shortly after Man City pulled out:
“I am delighted to welcome City back to the European football family. They have shown great intelligence in listening to the many voices – most notably their fans – that have spelled out the vital benefits that the current system has for the whole of European football.
“As I said at the Uefa Congress, it takes courage to admit a mistake but I have never doubted that they had the ability and common sense to make that decision.
“City are a real asset for the game and I am delighted to be working with them for a better future for the European game.”
Pat Nevin told BBC Five Live that once one team backtracked, the others would follow suit:
“I don’t think Chelsea were ever massively on board, and to be honest I didn’t really see a short-term benefit for them doing it.
“The sides have shown a semi-united wall so far but the minute one brick crumbles then the whole wall could fall. I’m not convinced by it at all.
“I honestly think that the clubs weren’t prepared for anything. This sounds like an utter desperate panic from a number of clubs that have dived into something that seven days they weren’t interested in because they were talking to Uefa and now they’ve got this all-signing and all-dancing thing.”